Rebecca, Esme, Philippa and Maria recommend the following for you to gain the maximum benefit from your McTimoney chiropractic treatment.
These simple suggestions for you to follow really do complement your treatment at the clinic.
- Rest for 20 minutes as soon as possible after each and every treatment.
- Refrain from doing any strenuous tasks such as hoovering, ironing, housework and lifting for 24 to 48 hours.
- Avoid taking hot baths for 24 hours, showers and warm baths are fine.
- Drink plenty of water as this will hydrate your body and aid recovery.
- Unless otherwise advised avoid sporting activities such as exercise classes, contact sports and golf.
- Avoid carrying heavy bags and luggage on one shoulder or arm. Always try to distribute any weight evenly across you body.
These simple recommendations together with any personal lifestyle recommendations Rebecca, Esme, Philippa or Maria may suggest during your treatment can have a big impact on aiding your recovery, working together in helping your body heal itself.
How may you feel after McTimoney Chiropractic treatment?
There are various reactions patients can experience after receiving McTimoney treatment – tiredness, stiffness, aching, headaches or nausea. ALL these responses are quite normal and will soon pass. They are signs that your body is starting to heal itself and adapt to the adjustments you have received.
- You may feel better – as your body has been realigned during your treatment the original pain may subside.
- You may feel worse – as your body is adjusting to its new alignment your original symptoms may alter and be located in a different part of your body. It is possible you may experience stiffness and aching of the muscles. These symptoms will subside as your body has time to settle after treatment.
- You may experience a headache – some patients suffer from a headache after treatment. We recommend you drink plenty of water to help relieve these symptoms while your body is settling after treatment.
- You may experience dizziness – a light- headed or dizzy sensation can occur due to the increased blood flow to the brain. Most patients recover after a short rest.
- You may experience tiredness – this again is quite normal; and you may feel relaxed and sleep soundly.
- It is very important to rest for at least half an hour after every treatment. This allows your body to heal itself!
- You may experience emotional changes This is quite normal and is a result of releasing tension in the muscles.
- Medication – anyone taking medication, eg diabetics, will need to monitor their medication before and after treatment.
- Menstrual cycle – periods may become heavier or lighter, less painful or shorter. Any changes you experience in your menstrual cycle normally settle again as your body adjusts to the changes in its alignment
If, after treatment, you have any concerns as to how you feel or are worried about any reaction you have experienced please call the clinic. Rebecca, Esme, Philippa and Maria are more than happy to answer any of your queries and concerns. Reception is open between 8:30 to 5:30 Monday to Friday, and 8:30 to 2:00 on Saturday – 01983 282810. There is an out of hours mobile number on the answer phone.
How many sessions will I need?
Everybody is different so the number of sessions needed can depend on a several factors.
- How long have you had the problem? A recent injury will recover quicker than one of 10 years standing.
- How fit and well are you? The healthier you are in general the quicker your body heals itself. We will help you with lifestyle advice during your healing process. Good food and plenty of rest always help!
- What sort of problem is it? Simple low back ache will resolve more quickly than acute sciatica.
- How stressed are you? High stress levels will slow down the rate of recovery (and may have caused the problem in the first place!)
Typically most patients need between two and six treatments, with as little as a few days or a week between the first two appointments. As changes occur the intervals between treatments will too.
Once you are feeling better, regular check-ups are recommended to maintain your body’s best alignment and nerve function. These treatments are likely to be spaced three to four months apart to maintain your wellbeing and fitness.